Monday, April 23, 2007

April 23 - Cinco de Warblo

With the continuing good weather I made another stop a Garret Mountain before going to work this morning. It was less "birdy" than I hoped for but I did better on new species.
First up was a Black-and-White warbler, truly the vanguard of neo-tropical migrants, this bird signifies the coming onslaught of birds.


Other warblers seen were the Pine, Palm, Yellow-Rumped and Louisiana Waterthrush.

Another first for this year was a Green Heron, and I also saw my first Chimney Swifts also.
There were lots of Chipping Sparrows and Hermit Thrush still around. Woodpeckers included Downy, Hairy & Red-Bellied, plus the Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker and Northern Flicker.
Blue-Headed Vireo, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Winter Wren, and the Sparrows of Song, Swamp, Chipping, and White-Throated continued as well.

I'll stop there tomorrow as waves of migrants typically last 2-3 days and I feel there are certainly more birds, and maybe more new species, to be seen tomorrow...