Tuesday, April 06, 2010

April 3/4 - North Carolina



During a family visit down south, I managed to spend just over an hour each day at the Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve in Cary, North Carolina. It was interesting to see how much further along the spring bloom was down here as opposed to my home area in New Jersey. It seems like Spring is 3+ weeks strong here in NC, with most trees already sporting small leaves, and tons of pollen covering everything.

I did manage to see my target bird of Brown-Headed Nuthatch. I had seen this bird once before in 2005 in Cape May, NJ. So, it was a nice treat to see several of this species and also to get very fine looks at it.
Credit: pbase.com/cre8foru

Other goodies were watching a Barred Owl take a squirrel not more than 15 feet away from where I was. Then hearing it hoot up a storm, evidently letting all know that lunch is ready.
Also seen were White-Eyed Vireo, Yellow-Throated Vireo, Ovenbird, Yellow-Rumped and Pine Warblers, Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Hermit Thrush, and Eastern Bluebird.

Hopefully I will return to North Carolina next year & will have time to try for some of it's rare birds.