Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 10 - Clinton Road Crossbills

Finally I have seen the White-Winged Crossbill in the State of New Jersey, and they were no more than 10 minutes from my home.
credit: Raymond J Barlow --- click on image to enlarge ---

For years I have wanted to see this species in my home state, however they have always been too rare, and when they are seen it has been very fleeting.
This area of Clinton Road is well known to many birders of 10-15 years ago as a great spot for this species, however due to milder winters these irruptive birds have not been common here since I started birding back in the early 1990s.

This is species # 341 for my New Jersey List.

Other birds seen today were Red-Breasted Nuthatches and Brown Creeper.
credit: Scott Streit --- click on image to enlarge ---