Saturday, September 13, 2008

September 13 - Sandy Hook

Thanks goes out to Patty Dexter today for telling me about the Lark Sparrow she had found a few minutes before we ran into each other this morning. I was able to get some nice views of the bird.
Credit: Dan Murray @ www.birdinginnewjersey.com/

Another highlight today was a Baird's Sandpiper that I found at the end of Fisherman's Trail at North Beach. I was watching the sandpipers feeding at low tide when the Baird's flew in amongst them for a minute or two before heading out to more favorable habitat.
credit: unknown

Other goodies seen here today were plovers of Semi-Palmated, Black-Bellied, and Piping. Oystercathers, Willet, Ruddy Turnstone, and a single Western Sandpiper were also seen. Terns were represented by Common and Royal, and I also saw raptors of Merlin, Osprey, and Broad-Winged Hawk. Otherwise a slow day, yet that was to be expected. I'm quite satisfied with the Lark Sparrow and Baird's Sandpiper !

Let's see what Garret Mountain brings tomorrow !!