Saturday, March 10, 2007

March 10 - Lazuli Bunting

This morning I went out with a couple of friends out to the town of Red Hill, Pennsylvania.
We arrived at 8:15 and found nearly a dozen birders already there. Best of all these birders were looking high up into a Sycamore tree, so I knew something good was happening.
They had located the Lazuli Bunting for the second time today. I quickly took a look thru another birder's scope to get my bearings, and then setup my own scope on the bird.
At first it was facing away, although even then it was distinctive. However, while in my scope view, the bird kindly did a 180 degree turn to present a textbook view of this species -- which was also a life bird for me !
photo credit - George Franchois

Unfortunately the bird stayed this way for just a minute before flying up and to the right. I relocated the bird in my scope, but after just a few seconds the bird flew out of the top of the tree and into some low brush. After waiting for about 90 minutes without the bird re-appearing we decided to leave this spot and visit the nearby Green Lane Reservoir.

At this reservoir was a nesting pair of Bald Eagles, Ring-Necked Ducks, Canvasbacks, Wood Ducks, Green-Winged Teal, Northern Pintail, Bufflehead and other duck species.

A great day is always the result when you get a life bird, and sometimes it's all just a matter of luck and obviously timing !