Sunday, February 11, 2018

February 11 - Nanday Parakeet life birds

I was in Tampa, Florida to visit my father who is in the hospital in nearby Clearwater, Florida.  So I decided to see if & where I might be able to see the Nanday Parakeet because I needed this species for my American Birding Association Life List.

As luck would have it, these birds can be found just 4 blocks from the Morton Plant Hospital in the Lake Belleview park.   Since I was near the hospital and there was still some time before Visiting Hours began, I decided to give the park a try.  I was there only a few minutes before I heard the call of the Nanday Parakeet, so I moved closer to the sound and there on the telephone wires was the bird  !

Here's a pic from the MacCauley Library on e-bird taken by a local birder named Wendy.
I want to thank her for reporting the parakeets to ebird so that I could find a lifebird and also a brightspot on an otherwise dour trip to visit my ailing Father.