Sunday, October 11, 2015

October 11 - Sandy Hook Sparrows

Today I made a trip to Sandy Hook to see some sparrows.  My primary target was the Nelson's Sparrow, a species that migrates through the coastal marshes in mid-October and through mid-November.
I had not seen this species last fall so a special trip was in order.  I arrived at Sandy Hook at first light and parked in Lot C to make my way toward Plum Island, which is on the Bay Side. The bay eventually forms the Shrewsbury River.  Immediately I saw several of the Nelson's Sparrows, including a bright orange one that is from the Interior Race of this species, and these birds breed in Central Canada.


Other sparrows seen today were Song, Swamp, Savannah, White-Throated, White-Crowned, and a lone Lincoln's.   Along Raccoon Alley, I had a Philadelphia Vireo and a Blue-Headed Vireo.