Thursday, November 07, 2013

November 7 - Carara National Park

A return visit was in order and it paid off handsomely!  Many of my target species were seen today.
Randall Ortega Chaves started me off once again on the Laguna Meandrica trail for a few species that we did not connect with on the day before.

Highlights were the Orange-collared Mannikin:


credit: Pete Morris


Finally with under an hour left to my time, Randall's non-stop efforts to get me a Pale-Billed Woodpecker paid off !   We enjoyed fine looks at this species feeding along a downed tree.

credit:


Randall showed me an absolutely fantastic spot alongside a stream and this area produced an incredible amount of beautiful species like Blue Dacnis, Bay-Headed Tanager, Shining Honeycreeper etc.

click to enlarge
credit: Randall Ortega Chaves

Later we stopped on a bridge crossing another waterway and enjoyed even more birds !

click to enlarge
credit: Randall Ortega Chaves