Sunday, September 26, 2010

September 25 - Forsythe NWR and south

Met friends Rob F. and Simon K. along with Simon's Dad, who is visiting from England, and birded Forsythe NWR a/k/a Brigantine. We had a pair of Sora, but only I saw them, and a pair of Yellow-Headed Blackbirds that Rob spotted. Other good birds were Stilt Sandpipers, Long-Billed Dowitcher, Caspian Tern, Black Skimmer, Willet, Dunlin, Northern Shoveler, Pintail, American Wigeon, Blue-winged Teal, Pied-Billed Grebe, Wood Ducks

A quick run down to Stone Harbor's bridge produced Caspian and Royal terns, Ruddy Turnstones but no Marbled Godwits or Pelicans. I then got a text message courtesy of Doug G. advising of an American Avocet down in Cape May Harbor. Fortunately I was close so I was able to quickly get on this bird. And also phone Simon and his Dad, which allowed the Senior Mr. King to get a life bird !


A return visit to Brig on the way home gave me fantastic looks at Hudsonian Godwit. It was missing it's left foot, which makes me wonder if this was the same footless bird seen at Cape May last week.