Monday, May 31, 2010

May 31 - Blue Chip Farm and High Point

I awoke early this morning and quickly decided to head north into Ulster County, New York to look for Upland Sandpiper at Blue Chip Farms. I arrived at 7 a.m and shortly after found the sandpiper. A little bit later a second sandpiper was seen. The last time I saw this species was in the fall of 2007, so it was very nice to see again, particularly since this bird's population in the northeast continues to drop.
credit: http://www.center-ecological-research.org/assets/images/upland_sandpiper1-1may200103.jpg

After that, and being concerned about getting stuck in holiday traffic, I left here just after 8 and headed southwest to hit the High Point State Park. Once in the park I drove the Ridge Road loop and then took Sawmill Road to its junction with Deckertown Pike. Here in the boggy area on the corner I found both Willow and Alder Flycatchers. Driving back toward Route 23 I came across a Cerulean Warbler whose azure colors are always a treat. Next I stopped at Cat Swamp and saw some breeding Brown Creepers and heard them sing as well.

Credit: http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/gallery/2006-photo-gallery/brcrnjdb.jpg/image_preview

Overall a very good morning of birding.