Monday, August 31, 2009

August 29 - Swallow-Tailed Kite

Between raindrops, and painting at home today, I ran up to Wallkill NWR in Wantage, New Jersey to see the Swallow-Tailed Kite.
This bird was found on Wednesday, and I tried to see it after work that day but it was too late when I arrived after 6 pm.
On Saturday my friend John called and alerted me that the bird was being seen. So I went up there right away and got the bird immediately. Very nice views were had as the bird coursed around a large field next to the Wallkill River.



The last time I saw this species was back in the spring of 1998 at the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Florida, so it was fantastic to see after such a long interval. I hope the next one doesn't take so long !

As the map below illustrates this species is found mainly in the southeastern US, so seeing one less than 30 minutes from home was a real treat..