Sunday, June 07, 2009

June 7 - Ventura area

I stayed local today on my last morning of birding on this trip. Tomorrow is the long flight back home...

I stopped on the oceanfront at Mugu Rock and later hiked up part of Sandstone Peak on the advice of local guy and former Jersey native named Dave Perekstra. Thanks to him I added another lifer !

Pacific Loon (#592)


Brandt's Cormorant
Brown Pelican
Western Gull
Heerman's Gull
W Grebe
White-Throated Swift
Rock Wren

Red Tail hawk
Cal Quail
Modo
Anna's Hummer
Black Phoebe
W Scrub Jay
Raven
VG Swallow
WT Swift
Bushtit
Bewick's Wren
Canyon Wren
Wrentit
Gnatcatcher
Mocker
Cal Thrasher
Black-Headed Grosbeak
Spotted Towhee
Cal Towhee
Black-Chinned Sparrow
Lesser Goldfinch

Eurasian Dove
Killdeer
TV
Least Tern


I dipped on the Sage Sparrow. I heard it sing twice but never got to see it, so I'll have to try again for this one some day in the future when I am out west again...