Sunday, February 08, 2009

February 8 - The Good, The Bad, and The Gully

The morning started out great as when I was driving to my friend's house just after 6 am I had an Owl fly down the road and land in a tree right next to the road. It was a Barred Owl, and I got very nice views of it because it was lit up by my headlights.
Credit: Steve Sleep

Later we went Media, Pennsylvania for the Le Conte's Sparrow that has bee reported for two weeks. Unfortunately for 2 of the 3 of us that needed this species as a life bird, the bird was not seen. We spent 3 hours in the field trying for it, and only one person had a quick glimpse at it. Oh well, that's the way to cookie crumbles.

On the drive back we stopped at Round Valley Reservoir for another look at the Eared Grebe, and today we also saw 3 Iceland Gulls, and up to 8 of the Lesser Black-Backed Gulls. Iceland Gull credit: Jerry Smith

I hope the Le Conte's is seen again in 2009 so I can give it another go !