Tuesday, May 08, 2007

May 1 - Tucson, AZ - Sabino Canyon

After getting the Hammond's, my next targets were the other migrant empids of Dusky Flycatcher and Gray flycatcher. I went to the riparian habitat of the canyon to locate the birds. The area above the dam was lush with recent growth of the spring. Again I tried to find aMacGillivray's Warbler but was without success.

Soon I found the drooping tail of the longer-billed Gray Flycatcher, and in fact there were a few here today.


I also did manage to find a Dusky Flycatcher.
It was a great comparison to see all 3 of these species in less than 24 hours.

I managed nice looks at Canyon Wren, which early on had been a nemesis bird for me during last year's trip. Both sexes of the Summer Tanager was a treat to see so close. And repeat views of Black-Throated, Rufous-Crowned & Lark Sparrows also brought back memories of the last trip to AZ.

On the walk out, I managed a final lifer for the day in the Brewer's Sparrow !