Thursday, January 11, 2007

January 11 - Piermont, NY


For the first time since 2002, I have again seen a Snowy Owl. The bird was first seen on the shore, and was shortly later harassed by Crows. The Crows were, well, being crows, -- quite gregarious. And this provided for a very animated Owl as it bobbed and weaved to avoid the dive-bombing corvids. Ultimately the Owl was chased which gave me my first looks at this bird in flight. It was fantastic, because I had previously only seen these birds on the ground. The Owl flew about 500 feet landing on a pile of debris, all the while avoiding the black marauders.

I walked down to where the bird was and now it was directly facing me. At about 125 feet from the shore this bird was incredibly close. The beauty of the scope views of this bird would be difficult to describe. The bird took one or two short flights on this debris pile giving me even better looks of the wings, as well as, feet. The only thing more impressive than the morning sunrise would be the yellow of this bird's eyes. What a treat today was!!