Friday, December 02, 2005

Greater White-Fronted Goose















Earlier this week I was able to see another rare bird for New Jersey in the "Greater White-Fronted Goose".
This bird was seen on Swartswood Lake in Sussex County along the south-eastern side of the lake. I parked in a place called "Cory's Turnout" just south of Dove Island Road on Route 619 South.
I had been looking for the bird earlier from where it had been previously reported, which was on the western side of the lake, along Route 521.
After not finding the bird where it was seen previously, I was heading home and decided to check a few more spots. I am glad I did, as this was the first time I had ever seen this bird. As you can see from the range map, this species isn't typically found in the East.

Stuff like this is what makes fall migration so interesting, as many species of birds get lost from their typical migration routes & end up in unusual spots.

(photo credit - Tony Beck)