Saturday, June 16, 2007

June 16 - Dune Road, Suffolk County

This morning I took the drive to look for Shearwaters. Unfortunately I did not see any.
Evidently, I was there at the right time but in the wrong spot !
Some other birders reported Cory's, Greater, and Manx Shearwaters, and I missed Arctic Tern as well :(
This was because I started on the easternmost section of Dune Road, and all the fine birds were seen on the western end in Cupsogue State Park. I was a few miles and a couple of hours too late, and missed the big show.
Oh well, that's birding. I'll try again some other time...

But I was lucky enough to meet Andy M., Shai M., & Patricia L.
These local birders were very friendly and helped me by providing some detailed info on where, when, and how to visit this section of the Island in the future.



What I did see was Black Tern, Piping Plover, Least & Common Terns, Willet, Oystercatcher, an early Least Sandpiper, some over-summering Black Scoters and Common Loons and a distant Wilson's Storm-Petrel. I also added Purple Martins, the first I have seen in New York State.