Wednesday, May 16, 2007

May 16 - Garret Mountain

Once again here. Until I start targeting some species that I missed in migration this is where I will bird, almost exclusively. And why not ?

This morning from just after 6 and until 9 a.m. I was able to see 18 species of warbler in the park. Many of the warblers seen today were females.

My first Tennessee of the year was seen up by the castle. Several Bay-Breasted including a female, Magnolia, Blackburnian, Canada, Wilson, Yellow-Rumped, Parula C. Yellowthroat, Blackpoll, Yellow, BT Blue, BT Green, Ovenbird, Redstart, Black-and-White, and Chestnut-sided warblers were spotted. Hooded was only heard.

Flycatchers were represented well with E. Kingbird, Phoebe, Pee Wee, Great-Crested, and an unidentified 'Traill's flycatcher" which was back-lit and silent !

A pair of Yellow-Billed Cuckoos were seen, Scarlet Tanagers, Veery, Swainson's Thrush, and a single Gray-Cheeked thrush were found as well. I also saw my first Lincoln's Sparrows of this spring with these being found in 3 separate parts of the park.

Another first of the year was a Solitary Sandpiper on a mudflat near the Gazebo. and my latest record ever for a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet bookends the noteworthy birds seen today.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings ?